Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"You know what the best part about being an explorer is? You get to name the planets. Fleet decree. Of course, you have to have a little imagination to captain a ship through the dark unknown, and you have to get approval - regulations, after the whole debacle with the Sam sector, Sams I-XII, the Sam nebula. But if you're one of the 15% of us ship captains who makes it out past the boundaries of known space, the lands you see will bear words you've spoken for eternities.

"If I ever get to a planet I don't like, I'm naming it Eden - just to spite all those poncy bastards who think we're gonna find paradise out here. And if they do - the name's taken! Guess your perfect planet won't quite have that perfect ring to it, rich with religious context so you'll have someplace new to preach your religious pfaffle for another twenty-two centuries.

"...That's assuming, of course, I find a planet I don't like. And I haven't yet. They're beautiful.

"They're all too beautiful. "

No comments: